Thursday, September 23, 2010

Future aspirations

In ten years I will be almost 34 years old! :(  I hope to have a family and to have a stable career somewhere in the helping profession.  My ultimate goal is to spend some time in Africa helping to build an orphanage. In ten years, however, I hope to be back in the states and working possibly for a  government agency as a social worker.  The first step to making this dream come true is to get a degree from the University of Iowa.  After graduating in may, I plan to study and take the social work license exam to become a certified social worker.  I plan to find jobs in either des moines or omaha to stay close to home until I get some experience under my belt.  Other than Africa, I have a lot of ambition to move to Nashville.  All of this will happen within the next ten years:) I plan to start looking for jobs within the next couple of months and hopefully I get a big break somewhere and make some connections that will help me with meeting my goals!

  The professional world is all about hard work and connections;  starting at the bottom and working your way to the top which is what I plan to do.  Entry level jobs suck, but getting your foot in the door is necessary before becoming the CEO of a company.  I'm not saying my plans include being a CEO, but they could.  I plan to work my butt off to do whatever I need to do to become satisfied with myself, my career, and my life.. GWSS has and will continue to help me with my interactions with people.  I believe that your interactions with people either make or break you. The program has opened my mind to equality and acceptance which are huge in interacting with people on any level.  Also, with the places I aspire to go (Africa and Nashville) I will be dealing with a more diverse population.  This will require me to use the information provided in the past years of GWSS classes.  Sorry if I was being repetitive! 

Thing that I will need to be successful in achieving my goals:
* don't rely on anyone else to do the hard work 

*Take every opportunity as it arises, don't ever say or think " I wish I would have done that"

*Take advantage of being young- take chances (kinda like the one above but kinda different)
* Manage time, money, relationships, my mind:)
* Make good relationships and keep them
*Study, study, study,-- it doesn't end after school!  Always strive to make things better
 I'm sure there's a million more things so if I think of them, I'll post them.



5 comments:

  1. I had no idea you were interested in going to Africa. Why don't you skip the social work exam and join the peace corps? you could work in Botswana and make some connections. Or you could try to get a job with an NGO. Linda Kroon's daughter works in Africa-there is a connection for you!
    I know you will be successful--you already are! It will be fun to watch and see what happens

    ReplyDelete
  2. africa! I'm pretty jealous. take me with you?

    it's refreshing and encouraging to see that your ultimate goal is giving back to a community. you have a big heart, and that will make you an eminent social worker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you know what you want and you dont care how hard you have to work to get there! Africa sounds like something you are really passionate about :) I agree with you that GWSS has helped out alot and will just continue to keep helping as we learn more and more about the things that we are all desiring to do in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what you had to say about the tools you need to meet your future goals. At times it might be tough to stick to them but if you do, it will pay off in the end. Just remember, don't let anyone tell you your dreams are too big!

    ReplyDelete