Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Week one.. Ethic of care

What is an "ethic of care"?  This implies that we should see care as a moral obligation in society.  As a person, we each have an obligation to care about those who we come into contact with on a daily basis whether we know them or not, and to do so with a good conscience and intent.  Some people claim to care, however, they only "care" when it's convenient for them.  For example, sure I care about my friends, but do I care about them enough to get out of bed at five in the morning if they call me and they need me?  I do care, and I do go pick them up because their car is stalled because I have a moral obligation that goes along with caring about that person.  Do I care about the homeless man who doesn't have anything to eat?  Having an ethic of care, I believe, would point out my moral obligation to help that man if at all possible.  Care is defined as having concern for, to give serious attention, and providing protection for.  The ethic of care tells me that I have a moral obligation to give serious attention to or to provide protection for all people.

1 comment:

  1. Your last sentence here is really interesting. I don't think that an ethic of care means you are obligated to provide for all people, or even to protect them. You are very ambitious in your goal of caring! Maybe there are many ways to use an ethic of care responsibly. Do you think it's better or more effective to spread smaller amounts of care to a larger population OR to spend a lot of energy caring for just a few? Is it possible to do it all?

    ReplyDelete